How I Got My Money's Worth at Dragon*Con
G and I took an actual vacation (days in which neither of us worked!) to Dragon*Con in Atlanta, and man did we have a lot of fun. The cost was, on our scales, unthinkably huge, so I was determined to make the best possible use of our time. So worth it! G and I split up a lot of the time, so I can’t account for all of his adventures, but here’s what I did:
- Read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and A Study in Scarlet to G while he drove to Georgia.
- Climbed Stone Mountain at sunset.
- Saw a guy propose to a girl in a walk-in fountain in downtown Atlanta.
- Hung out with interesting people in the early registration line. Increased freckle count.
- Walked all over downtown Atlanta looking at interesting things.
- Ate a frickin’ amazing omelet at Landmark Cafe.
- Fell in love with Pandora Celtica at their concert (and also heard Emerald Rose).
- Learned how to cause and prevent session hijacking mischief at the Firesheep panel.
- Listened to useful writing advice from Kevin J. Anderson, author of beloved paperbacks that Mom used to buy for me at the grocery store.
- Had a local beer with the FDO to celebrate the All Pro release. Got my Kindle cover signed!
- Bought gorgeous red contacts to go with my horns and taught myself to meet people’s eyes.
- Learned how to follow someone on foot (it’s research!)
- Learned how to pronounce Shanara from Terry Brooks.
- Danced to Bella Morte and Voltaire, LIVE
- G held a door for Edward James Olmos.
- Met Mur Lafferty, fangirlled pitifully, and got my Kindle cover signed again. Life goal complete!
- Learned to differentiate between small press, large press, and self publishing.
- Saw a million crazy amazing costumes, including two xenomorphs, two life-sized wookiees, a flawless Obi Wan, about a platoon of stormtroopers, steampunk Boba Fett (my favorite!), an adorable Kalie, a dozen Mals, mage Hawke and Carver, the full cast of TF2, eight or ten Deadpools, Ms. Marvel, several Chis, many anime girls without pants, and a 15-foot tall screaming Nazgul.
- Watched beluga whales play with someone dressed as Snoopy to the soundtrack from The Matrix at the Georgia Aquarium.
- Sang along with Jonathan Coulton.
- Danced to Abney Park and Freezepop. Undies (not mine) were actually thrown on the stage.
- Heard chapters from Faith Hunter’s new books and won one of her old ones! Also got an arrowhead pendant that she made. I might have scared her with my red eyes.
- Did more research on AI motivation for my current project at an expert panel
- Learned how internet marketing works (although I still think the word needs two t’s)
- Photographed Sherlock and Watson cosplayers, and learned nifty things about themes.
- Had coffee with female Star Child in full stage costume.
- Tried to attend the Cruxshadows concert, but we were too tired from all the fandom and we barely made it back to the hotel.
- Discovered that I accidentally follow the hero’s journey properly in my current project.
- Shopped for weird.
- Bade farewell to my new con friends.
- Read The Sign of the Four to G on the way home.
- Made plans to come back next year.
- Discovered a page refresh button on my mouse which necessitated rewriting this post more than once.
I’m sure I’ve left some things out. There were a lot of great people and sleep deprivation involved. I feel like a real person again. Can’t wait for next year!